This easily recognized plant is a sprawling perennial, its stem grows 1-2 feet high from a single root, and is slightly hairy. The small trifoliate leaves are ternate, ovate, entire, fairly smooth, pointed, and may be lighter in colour towards the center. The ovoid flower head is 1-4cm round, red to purple and is composed of many papilionaceous keeled flowers. Faintly sweet smelling, taste is slightly bitter.
A common plant throughout North America and Europe, it is found in fields, road sides, in light sandy soil. Wild-harvested, gather blossoms in midsummer in full bloom. As always, be sure it has not been sprayed.
Isoflavones; Other Flavinoids; Volatile oil; Phenols; Glucosides; Glycosides; Clovamides; Coumarins; Miscellaneous-galactomannan, resins, mineral, vitamins, phytoalexins
deobstruent, antispasmodic, alterative, sedative, expectorant, anti-inflammatory, anti-neoplastic.
Red Clover is commonly used internally to effectively treat chronic skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and old, difficult sores, to reduce glandular swellings, mouth ulcers, sore throat, and is especially helpful for whooping cough and bronchitis in children, and although isoflavones levels are low, it has recently gained popularity in the treatment of menopause.
Cautions and Considerations
How to Use Clover Blossoms
* 1tsp dried herb is steeped in 1c boiling water for 15 minutes drunk three times per day or freely as required.
* tincture may be prepared in a 1:5 ratio and 2-4ml taken three times per day.
* powder may be taken in capsules or tablets at a rate of 750mg, three times per day.
Combine with Rumex crispus (Yellow Dock), Taraxacum off. (Dandelion), or Arctium Lappa (Burdock) for stubborn skin conditions, with Larrea mexicana (Chaparral), and Panax Ginseng for wasting diseases, blood disorders, and anaemia.
Folklore and Other Uses:
* The dried, ground blossoms have been smoked as an anti-asthmatic.
* The flower heads are burned in North American aboriginal tradition to clear the mind and focus the spirit.
The entire plant maybe washed and cut up as a stir fry.